Sola specializes in energy and project finance law issues, particularly in relation to oil & gas development project negotiations. Sola has extensive experience in the acquisition and disposal of petroleum exploration and production interests. With over 30 years of legal experience, Sola is responsible for advising many international companies on foreign investment laws, corporate establishment and accreditation issues, the Nigerian licensing regime and general strategic alliances in the Nigerian oil & gas industry.
He is a graduate of the University of Lagos and has an LLM from the University of London: London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE).
He has been listed in the last 6 consecutive editions of ‘Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Energy and Natural Resources Lawyers’. Sola has also been recognized as a “leading lawyer” in the 2014 and 2015 editions of the IFLR1000 directory for Energy and Infrastructure and Financial and Corporate respectively. Sola has been described by the prestigious Chambers Global Guide as, “the foremost practitioner in upstream processes” in Nigeria, “One of the leaders of the field” and “a standout lawyer for energy work”.
Having graduated from the University of Lagos in 1981, Sola was admitted to the Nigerian Bar the following year in 1982. He subsequently obtained an LLM from the University of London: London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) in 1984.
He is a member of the following organisations:
• African Institute of Petroleum (Associate Director)
• Nigerian Bar Association
• International Bar Association Section on Energy & Natural Resources Law.
• The Petroleum Club Lagos (Policy Committee)
• Governing Council of the Bank Directors Association of Nigeria
• Past Member of the Oil & Gas Sector Reform Implementation Committee (“OGIC”) of the National Council of Privatization
• African Petroleum Management Institute (Associate Director)
Sola’s expertise is recognised in various international legal directories such as:
• Ranked as an elite 'Leading Individual' in Energy & Natural Resources- "The Legal 500", 2015;
• Ranked as a Leading Lawyer in Energy & Natural Resources” – ‘Chambers Global’, 2015 (Band 1);
• Ranked as a Leading Lawyer in Energy & Natural Resources” – ‘Chambers Global’, 2014 (Band 1);
• Sola Adepetun is described as “extremely proficient in oil and gas law”. He is well known for his work on behalf of foreign investors regarding establishment and licensing issues- Chambers Global 2015.