Funke has extensive experience in Admiralty law, Shipping & Marine Insurance Law & Litigation, Shipping Registration, Cabotage Registration & Compliance, Ship Finance & Securitisation and International Trade Law & Commercial Arbitration.
She has represented clients on a broad range of commercial transactions before trial and appellate courts all over Nigeria. In addition, Funke is a seasoned maritime arbitrator and has represented the firm in numerous international arbitration cases. Her active participation in the development and formulation of policy in the Nigerian maritime industry has contributed to her acknowledgement as an authority in the industry.
Having graduated from the University of Lagos and subsequently obtaining an LLM from the University College London, Funke was admitted to the Nigerian Bar in 1982. Funke is a member of the following organisations:
• The Nigerian Bar Association;
• The International Bar Association;
• General Editor, Nigerian Journal of Maritime Law;
• Council Member of the Maritime Arbitrators Association of Nigeria
• 1st Vice President, Nigerian Maritime Law Association (Affiliate of the Committee Maritime International)
• Past President, Women’s International Shipping and Trading Association (WISTA);
• CEDR Accredited Mediator and a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Funke is recognised by various reputable international legal directories such as:
· Chambers Global Guide – Band 2 in Dispute Resolution.
· Who’s Who Legal: Nigeria – Global Leader 2020 in Transport – Shipping category.
· The Legal 500 – Hall of Fame 2020 in Shipping and transport.