Joy Harrison-Abiola is the Practice Administrator of the firm, she oversees the business aspects of the firm, having under her supervision the Accounts, Administrative, IT and Human Resources departments. She is based in Lagos.
She has over 25 years’ experience as a business support professional. She had previously worked in advertising, finance and securities before moving to the legal industry 20 years ago. As a member of the management committee, Joy embodies the entrepreneurial spirit, bringing objectivity and passion to the practice. She participates in strategic planning, offering practical solutions and direction to effectively address day to day and long term business challenges.
Joy was instrumental in putting together the first law firm management development program (MDP) at the Lagos Business School (LBS) Pan-African University in collaboration with the Association of Legal Administrators (ALA) Lincolnshire Illinois USA. She is also one of the conveners of the Practice Administrators Forum (PAF) Lagos.
Joy graduated from Ondo State University in 1991 with a B.A (Hons) degree in English Language and Literary Studies. She also holds an MBA (HR/Finance) 2001 from Lagos State University and she enrolled for a Doctoral program in Business Administration with the University of Liverpool UK. Joy is a member of various professional organizations including the Association of Legal Administrators (ALA), Chartered Institute of Managers (CIM) UK, Trademark Administrators and Practitioners (TMAP) committee of the International Trademark Association (INTA), the Legal Practice Management (LPM) section of the American Bar Association (ABA), and the Nigerian Institute of Management (NIM). Recently she was appointed into the Trademark Office Practices Committee Sub-Committee for Africa Trademark Office Relations (TOPC SC_ATMOR).
- The Role of Admin & Support in a Nigerian Law Firm
- Successes and Challenges of Law Practice Managers - Slide share
- On Talent Management and Attrition
- Joy has moderated several Table Topics in the International Trademark Association Annual Conferences E.g. “Cultural Diversity and its Impact on an IP Practice,” “Risk Management Considerations in IP Practice,” “Project Managing your IP Portfolio: An Administrator's View”
- She has been published in the Legal Management Magazine of the Association of Legal Administrators.
Practice Manager of the Year Award (2010) -Nigerian Legal Awards (ESQ and BUSINESSDAY).
Practice Manager of the Year Award (2015) -Nigerian Legal Awards (ESQ and BUSINESSDAY).
Practice Administrator of the Year Award (2018)- ESQ Legal Awards